Add to favourites
News Local and Global in your language
16th of November 2018

International



An American And Russian Astronaut Took Off For The ISS. Then, The Rocket Failed

10:27 AM 10/11/2018 | Video

Joshua Gill | Religion Reporter

The booster for a rocket carrying American and Russian astronauts failed shortly after launch Thursday, forcing the astronauts into an emergency descent to Earth.

The two astronauts, Nick Hague of the U.S. and Alexey Ovchinin of Russia, landed safely in a parachuted capsule 12 to 15 miles outside of the town of Zhezqazghan in Kazakhstan, 240 northwest of Russia’s Baikonur Cosmodrome where they launched that morning. NASA reported trouble with the Soyuz rocket’s booster eight minutes after launch, 11 minutes after which they reported that the booster had failed and the astronauts were returning to Earth in a ballistic descent, meaning a descent without propulsion. (RELATED: Trump NASA Head: US Power Grid Is The American ‘Achilles Heel’)

The rocket was intended to carry the astronauts to the International Space Station.

There’s been an issue with the booster from today’s launch. Teams have been in contact with the crew. Updates: https://t.co/mzKW5uV4hS

— NASA (@NASA) October 11, 2018

WATCH:

The crew is returning to Earth in a ballistic descent mode. Teams are working to obtain additional information from our Russian partners. Watch live updates: https://t.co/mzKW5uDsTi pic.twitter.com/kWigYS1gU4

— NASA (@NASA) October 11, 2018

NASA also clarified that a ballistic descent involves a sharper angle of descent than normal, potentially threatening the crew as descent angles are usually calculated exactly so that the capsule does not overheat or burn up during reentry. Thankfully, both astronauts survived the descent with no injuries.

WATCH:

The Soyuz capsule has landed back on Earth carrying two crew members. Search and rescue teams are in contact with the crew and are en route to the landing location. Live updates: https://t.co/mzKW5uDsTi pic.twitter.com/G3IuAztH6O

— NASA (@NASA) October 11, 2018

Search and rescue teams report they are in contact with the Soyuz crew, who report they are in good condition. The teams are en route to the landing site. Live updates: https://t.co/mzKW5uDsTi pic.twitter.com/Z6RXKMKLfg

— NASA (@NASA) October 11, 2018

Dmitri Rogozin, chief of Roscosmos, the Russian space program, reported a little over an hour after the launch that the astronauts had been located and safely rescued and that “a state commission has been established to investigate the causes” of the malfunction, according to The New York Times.

“Thank God the cosmonauts are alive. This is the main thing,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitri S. Peskov told journalists.

A Russian space official said the emergency occurred 119 seconds into the flight during the first stage side boosters’ separation from the second stage main booster, after which the second stage booster shut down completely, according to an Interfax.

Roscosmos jumped the gun, however, and preemptively reported a positive description of the rocket’s flight in anticipation of a successful launch, sparking criticism from readers who thought that the space program was trying to cover up the accident. The Russian space program later posted updates of the accident and of the astronauts’ retrieval.

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.

Read More




Leave A Comment

More News

World – The Daily Caller

World stories

LaPresse.ca - International

Canoe.ca - International

: World

FOX News

World – Macleans.ca

CBC | World News

TORONTO STAR | NEWS | WORLD

ABC News: International

Disclaimer and Notice:WorldProNews.com is not the owner of these news or any information published on this site.